Syros is the island of Cyclades that combines urban architecture with the classic Cycladic architecture! It is an island where you can find everything as Ermoupolis is the capital of the Cyclades.
How to get to Syros
Access to Syros is very easy from the mainland of Greece and almost from all the islands of the Cyclades.
It is a very easily accessible island. By ferry from Piraeus or Rafina you need 3.5-4 hours, while by plane from Athens you need only half an hour.
Where to stay in Syros
The location of your stay on Syros depends on factors such as how you move on the island, how quietly you want to spend your evenings, etc. As most areas are more like small villages, I suggest tο stay in Ermoupolis, which is the safest option. It’s the capital of the Cyclades.
Here you can find from classic hotels to Airbnb accommodation. In many cases, they are located in buildings with Neoclassical Architecture. Ermoupolis provides immediate access to everything you need. From restaurants and bars to attractions and places of culture. It can satisfy all tastes.
Check also “Antiparos: the small paradise of Cyclades“
How to move around Syros
Syros has a fairly large road network and you can reach all areas and beaches very easily.
- Bus: Syros has a bus network that can take you to the most villages and most of the beaches on the island. The itineraries, especially during the tourist season, have a frequency of half an hour and they are 24/7.
- Car rental: Famous car rental companies, as well as smaller dealerships, are located on the island. Rental prices start from 35 € / day.
- With your own vehicle: If you have your own vehicle, it’s even better since it doesn’t limit you. You will make your own schedule and see as many places as you want.
The nightlife of the island
Syros has nothing to envy in entertainment from other areas of Greece.
The truth is that most of the entertainment in Syros is located in Ermoupolis. In Suerte you can find the classic entertainment in a bar with people, plenty of drinks, and a variety of music! Go to Kouchico if you are that person who wants to drink a cool cocktail on an island during your summer vacation. Kouchico has a large list of cocktails, so it’s a good idea to try as many as you can.
Now I will take you to Ano Syros. There you will find the most beautiful view of the island, you will walk in narrow picturesque alleys. Drink a glass of wine in one of the several “rebetadika” listening to Marco Vamvakaris, who was born on Syros and is considered to bethe “patriarch” of that kind of music.
Check also “Milos: a must-visit Greek island“
I don’t have much to tell you since there are infinite options depending on your tastes. In Ermoupolis, you can find everything you wish, from picturesque taverns to gourmet cuisine.
However, the best experience is offered by the taverns located on the beaches of the island. The Allou Gyalou, which is located in Kini, offers authentic Aegean cuisine.
Of course, you should not forget to try the local sweets. Syros is famous for its loukoumi and halva pies. You can find them in the traditional patisseries located on every side of the island.
Check also “Exploring Tinos island in Greece“
The beaches of Syros
- Galissas: It’s a great sandy beach.
- Agathopes: It’s a relatively shallow beach with plenty of people with several taverns and cafes.
- Asteria (Ciel): It is located very close to Ermoupolis and is essentially a small pier along the coast. Many young people are gathering there.
- Komito: It’s a must for an afternoon swim as it is the best place to enjoy the sunset!
- Delphini: It’s a quiet beach, without much wind and with clear blue waters.
Check also “A Wine Journey in Santorini“
Culture Sightseeing in Syros
- Markos Vamvakaris Museum: The museum is located in Ano Syros and is dedicated to the master of rebetiko song. There you will see a two-story house full of personal items of Markos Vamvakaris.
- Apollon Theater: It’s one of the most important sights of Syros. It is a copy of the famous Teatro alla Scala.
You will fall in love with Syros because it can offer you everything. You will not miss anything, you will see wonderful beaches and you will have one of the most complete vacations you can do without breaking the bank!
Leave a Reply